If you need assistance with:
- Public Speaking
- Job Interviews
- Professional and Personal Interactions
- Physical Pain/Injury Recovery
- Efficiency of Movement in Dance, Sports, Acting, or other Physical Activities
- Auditions or Stage Performance
Sara Yanney received her GL-CMA (Graduate Laban Certified Movement Analyst) from Columbia College Chicago. Sara has been studying human movement for over 20 years through dance and somatic studies. Click here for Sara’s bio and click here for Sara’s full CV.
Laban/Bartenieff Movement Analysis was created by Rudolph Laban in the 20th century. He wanted to create a system of notating, describing, and understanding human movement. While the system is commonly used by dancers, it also has applications to other physical activities, our every day lives, and how our movement effects our personal and professional interactions with others. The Laban system breaks down movement into categories of Effort, Shape, Space, and Body. Irmgard Bartenieff, one of his students, developed the Body category of the work. It focuses on basic patterns of developmental movement that underlie our more complex movements as adults.
What should I expect from a Movement Coaching lesson?
Sessions are 45 minutes long. A first lesson is 1 hour and will always start with a discussion of why you have come and what you want to achieve through lessons. The amount of physical activity in a lesson will depend on your goals, but movement will always be a part of a lesson. You will get to know your movement preferences, how they can work to your advantage, and work on the aspects of movement you do not prefer to broaden your efficiency of movement and communication.
What should I wear to a Movement Coaching lesson?
Anything you would wear to the gym is preferable. You should be comfortable and ready for any type of movement. Exceptions may be made if you are working on public speaking and the clothing or shoes affect you.
How much does it cost?
- Individual Lesson: $75
- 5 Lesson Package: $337.50 (Save 10%)
- 10 Lesson Package: $637.50 (Save 20%)
- After a first lesson, you may chose to apply the money paid to a package of 5 or 10 lessons, but this must be done by the second lesson.
- All packages are valid for 1 year and expire if they are not used within that time. No refunds will be issued.
- Payment must be made BEFORE a lesson starts. Cash, PayPal, and Venmo are all accepted forms of payment.
How often are lessons?
Your needs will dictate how frequently you have lessons and in what time frame. Typically lessons are once a week at the same day and time, but if you have a need for a more intensive experience or faster results, you can schedule more frequent lessons.